Who is a Manglik? What is Manglik?
If planet Mars (“Mangal” or “Kuja“) is situated in the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 7th, 8th or 12th house of a person’s Rashi (Indian astrological moon sign) when he/she is born; then that person is a “Manglik” (also called “Mangalik“).
What Marital Problems Does a Manglik Face?
It is believed that “Mangalik Dosha” (or “Manglik Dosh” or “Mangal Dosha“) mainly impacts a person’s married life. It can lead to disharmony and tension between the husband and wife. Some also believe that marriage between a Manglik and a non-Manglik can lead to the untimely death of one of the partners.
How to Cancel or Neutralize Negative Effect of Manglik Dosh?
- If a Mangalik is born on a Tuesday, the negative effect of Manglik Dosha gets cancelled.
- After the age of 28, the effect of Mangalik Dosha disappears. Those persons born with Mars in the 8th house have to wait till 36 for the effect of Manglik Dosha to disappear.
- If a Manglik marries another Manglik, then the negative effects of Mangalik Dosha get cancelled.
- Special pooja (“Mangal Kavacham”, “Mangal Upasana”, etc)can be done to eliminate Mangalik Dosha. Some astrologers also recommend gemstones.
- A Mangalik and non-Mangalik can cancel the ill effects of Mangalik Dosha by performing a “Kumbh Vivah” before the actual wedding. A “Kumbh Vivaah” is a wedding between a Mangalik and either a statue of Vishnu or a Peepal tree or a banana tree or a Clay Pot. Before marrying Abhishek Bachchan, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, who is Mangalik, first performed a “wedding” with a Peepal tree, a Banana Tree and a statue of God Vishnu. [Please see below for details on how Aishwarya Rai cancelled her Mangal Dosh.]
How to Perform a “Kumbh Vivah” to Get Rid of “Mangal Dosh”
To cancel “Mangalik Dosh” or “Mangal Dosh” a “Kumbh Vivaah” (wedding) or “Ghat Vivah” is performed between the following:
- Manglik Girl and a Peepal Tree
- Manglik Girl and a Banana Tree
- Manglik Girl and a Gold or Silver Statue of Lord Vishnu
- Manglik Girl and a Clay Pot or Urn which is later broken to signify the Manglik has become a widow
“Kumbh” and “Ghat” mean “Pot” and “Vivah” means wedding. So the literal meaning of “Kumbh Vivah” or “Ghat Vivaah” is wedding with a Pot (usually Clay).
The “Kumbh Vivaah” is like any regular Hindu wedding, where the Pandit recites wedding prayers, the bride wears bridal clothes, she performs Seven Pheras (“Saptapadi) around the Peepal/Banana Tree or Clay Pot and “Kanyadaan” is performed by the father of the bride.
After the “Kumbh Vivah”, the Manglik bride is considered married to the Peepal/Banana Tree or Clay Pot. The breaking of the Clay Pot (“Kumbh/Ghat”) to which the Mangalik has been married means she has become a widow. Now when she marries her husband, they will not be impacted by “Manglik Dosha”.
How did Aishwarya Rai Bachchan Correct Her Manglik Dosha
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and Abhishek Bachchan were married on 20 April, 2007. Aishwarya Rai is a Mangalik. Before their marriage, priest had recommended that Aiswarya Rai take corrective action to counter her Mangalik Dosha (Mangal Dosh).
It is reported that to correct Aishwarya Rai’s Manglik Dosha, she and the Bachchan’s did the following:
- Aishwarya Rai, along with Abhishek Bachchan and his parents, travelled to Varanasi to perform special Puja at the ancient Shiva temple. Aishwarya Rai’s family and the Bachan’s prayed at the “Kashi Vishwanath Temple” and “Sankat Mochan Temple” in Varanasi. Here they performed the “Mangala Aarti” and “Rudrabhishek Puja”.
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan married a Peepal Tree in Varanasi to get rid of “Manglik Dosh”. This marriage is known as a “Kumbh Vivah” or “Ghat Vivah”.
- Aishwarya Rai performed “Kumbh Vivaah” (wedding) with a Banana Tree in Bangalore (Bengaluru).
- Finally, Aiswarya Rai Bachchan also had a symbolic wedding with an idol of God Vishnu in the holy city of Ayodhya.
Abhishek Bachchan and Aiswarya Rai Bachan are happily married and have a beautiful young daughter named Aaradhya. This is a link to Pictures of Abhishek, Aishwarya and their daughter, Aaradhya Bachchan, at their home in Mumbai.
Manglik Dosha or Mangalik Dosha or Kuja Dosha
As per Indian Vedic astrology, the Moon signifies emotions, Venus signifies marriage and the Lagna (Ascendant) signifies one’s self. In the “Janam Kundli” (natal birth astrological chart) Mangalik Dosha or Kuja Dosha is the strongest for Venus, milder for the Moon and the mildest for the Lagna (Ascendant).
Mars in the 7th and 8th houses causes strong Mangalik Dosha. Mars in the 1st, 2nd, 4th and 12th houses indicates mild Mangalik Dosha.
Am I a Manglik? Manglik Calculator
Here is a link to a “Mangalik Calculator” which can help determine whether a person is Mangalik.
Mars’ (Mangal, Kuja) Relation with the Houses of the Rashi
As per Indian Astrology Mangliks may suffer from the following problems:
- Mars in 1st House: 1st house signifies one’s own self. Person may be prone to anger. Person may get afflicted by illness. Person may also be cruel and fickle.
- Mars in 2nd House: 2nd house signifies finance. Money and education may be a problem for such a person. Person may be quarrelsome.
- Mars in 4th House: 4th house signifies domestic happiness. Person may suffer mental agony and domestic happiness may elude him/her. Person may also lack relatives and wealth.
- Mars in 7th House: 7th house signifies marriage and marital life. Marital happiness may elude this person. Person may be quarrelsome. Person may also indulge in criminal activities.
- Mars in 8th House: 8th house signifies longevity. Person may not live very long. Lack of wealth may also be a problem. Person may have physical and mental problems.
- Mars in 2nd House: 12th house signifies sexual pleasure. Person may be sad, miserly and lazy. Person may suffer from ill health.
Mars or Mangal or Kuja as per Indian Astrology
According to Indian Astrology, the Indian name for Mars is Mangal or Kuja or Angaraka. Mars has a fierce martial nature. Mars symbolizes aggression, fiery temperament, property. In an astrological sense, Mars can be cruel.
Mars is the ruling deity of Mesha (Aries) and Scorpio (Vrischika).
Indian mythology has different interpretations of the birth of Mars. According to some, Mars is the son of Earth, others claim that Mars was the son of Lord Shiva.
- Kundali Matching (Horoscope Matching) for Marriage Compatibility
- Marriage Compatibility between Zodiac Sun Signs
- Vastu for Happy Married Life and Wedding (Lagaan) Mandap
- Auspicious Hindu Wedding Dates (Shubh Vivah Muhurat) in 2013 – 2014
- Auspicious Chinese Wedding Dates in 2013 – 2014, based on Gui-Si
- Best Indian Matrimony Websites
- Interesting Indian Marriage Survey Finding about Modern Marriages
- Concept of “Gotra” for Hindu Marriages
- Relationship between “Chaturmas” and Hindu Marriages
- Popular Hindi Movies about Indian Weddings
- Documents and Process For Registration of Marriages in India
- Indian Marriage Laws
Mars Image taken from Wikimedia Commons. This file is in the public domain because it was solely created by NASA.